Photo by Piotr Zajda/Shutterstock

Port Authority Explosion: What We Know

Many reports are coming out regarding the Monday morning explosion that happened near New York City’s Port Authority.  Here’s what has been confirmed:

- Per NBC New York, the explosion went off in a tunnel between the Times Square subway station and Port Authority near 42nd Street and 8th Avenue around 7:15 AM.

-NBC News reports that one suspect who allegedly set off the explosion is in custody.  They sustained minor injuries.

- The A, C and E subway lines were evacuated, and all subways are bypassing the Port Authority and Times Square stations.

NYPD NEWS on Twitter

Update regarding explosion at 42nd St and 8th Ave, in subway: One male suspect is in custody. No injuries other than suspect at this time. Avoid the area. Subways bypassing #PortAuthority and Times Square Stations. Info is preliminary.

-The following streets are closed:  45th to 40th Street and 7th to 9th Avenue.  Also, no cars are allowed to exit FDR Drive from 59th to 42nd Street.

NYPD NEWS on Twitter

Traffic update regarding incident at 42nd St and 8th Ave: No cars allowed to exit FDR Drive from 59st to 42nd St., - 45th to 40th St., 7th to 9th Ave remains closed. #PortAuthority


-FDNY reports that 4, non-life-threatening injuries have been reported.

FDNY on Twitter

Update: A total of 4 injuries reported at the scene of an explosion at Port Authority. All injuries are non-life-threatening


-FDNY Commissioner Daniel A. Nigro issued the following statement:

FDNY on Twitter

EMS removed perpetrator to Bellevue Hospital. 3 people in proximity to the explosion removed themselves, all have minor injuries consistent with being in area of an explosion -#FDNY Commissioner Nigro gives update on explosion at Port Authority



-As of 9:30 AM EST, the Port Authority Bus Terminal has reopened.

Port Authority NY&NJ on Twitter

The Port Authority Bus Terminal (@PABusTerminal) has reopened, following police activity due to an incident this morning. Bus customers are encouraged to contact their carrier for the most current information regarding their operations.


-NYPD Commissioner James P. O'Neill says the suspect "was wearing as improvised low-tech explosive device attached to his body.  He intentionally detonated that device."

Good Morning America on Twitter

BREAKING: Suspect "was wearing an improvised low-tech explosive device attached to his body. He intentionally detonated that device," NYPD commissioner says.


-Per The New York Times, the bombing suspect has been identified as Akayed Ullah, a 27-year-old resident of Brooklyn who emigrated from Bangladesh seven years ago.  He attached a pipe bomb to his torso with Velcro and zip ties, and as a result of setting off the bomb, Ullah sustained burns to his hands and abdomen.  He's currently at Bellevue Hospital Center in serious condition.

-Video of the pipe bomb detonation has surfaced.

New York City Alerts on Twitter

BREAKING VIDEO: Moment of explosion at 42nd St and 8th Avenue in Manhattan