The iconic Elton John turns 70 today (March 25.) It's almost difficult to put down in words what the musical landscape would be like without him, because, frankly, we can't imagine the pop/rock world without him. In honor of this milestone birthday, here's 70 reasons to celebrate Sir Elton.
- “Saturday Night’s Alright for Fighting”
- That time he proved he could put a melody to anything.
Part of "The Actor's Studio" aired in 2005 View the Complete interview here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKvQymAGN-A
- The entire Lion King soundtrack
- “Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters”
- His AIDS charity, the Elton John AIDS Foundation, has raised over $385 million.
- “Someone Saved My Life Tonight”
- His residencies continue to make Las Vegas a hot spot for performers.
- His Facebook page went live to allow fans to wish him a happy birthday.
We are Live now! Wish Elton a Happy Birthday by signing his card - just leave a comment below to have your name added. We'll hand the card to Elton on his birthday, March 25th.
- He owns over a quarter of a million pairs of glasses!
- “Honky Cat”
- Forget going to the Academy Awards ceremony, Sir Elton’s Oscar fundraising parties is one of the hottest tickets in Hollywood!
- He guested on South Park.
- His birthday parties are legendary.
- “Philadelphia Freedom”
- Because this photo with Rod Stewart exists
- “I Guess That’s Why They Call It The Blues”
- This outfit.
- “Your Song”
- The music of Aida
- His “Got Milk?” ad
- Because “Don’t Go Breaking My Heart” is one of the best karaoke duets of all time.
- The fact that he and Bernie Taupin are still writing music together is amazing.
- He was awesome during “Carpool Karaoke”
James Corden asks Elton John to help him navigate Los Angeles on a rainy day while the two sing some of his songs, including a Lion King classic and "Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me."
- He counts Billie Jean King among his good friends.
- “Step into Christmas,” which is easily one of the best original Christmas songs ever.
- “Rocket Man” and the subsequent bizarre cover from William Shatner
- This moment from The Graham Norton Show.
Programme website: http://bbc.in/1SPMMSh Jack black asks Sir Elton to identify one of his own songs
- This classic photo
- “The Bitch Is Back”
- This awesome video competition going on right now.
- Because this performance of “Mockingbird” with Cher and Bette Midler exists.
Elton John, Cher, Bette Midler and Flip Wilson perform Mockingbird, Ain't No Mountain High Enouph, Never Can Say Goodbye and Proud Mary on The Cher Show. 1975.
- He’s godfather to Elizabeth Hurley’s son and two of Victoria and David Beckham’s sons.
- He’s helped curate a vinyl subscription service.
- “Tiny Dancer” and that scene in Almost Famous
- This awesome performance with Tina Turner.
Elton and Tina perform The Bitch is Back at the VH1 Fashion Awards in 1995.
- The Majestic cover of Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy.
- When he appeared on Will & Grace
it does exist
- His cover of The Who’s “Pinball Wizard” is perfection.
- Even though he and Billy Joel are on the outs right now, their tours together were incredible.
on the tonight show with jay leno
- He composed the score for the Billy Elliot stage musical.
- He’s sold a staggering 250 million albums worldwide.
- The incredible music video for “I Want Love”
Music video by Elton John performing I Want Love. (C) 2001 Mercury Records Limited
- He’s a knight!
- As someone who’s battled addiction, he’s given back to those in recovery and earned the MusiCares Person of the Year award in 1995.
- “Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me” (Especially the duet version with George Michael.)
George Michael's official live music video for 'Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me'. Click to listen to George Michael on Spotify: http://smarturl.it/GeorgeMichaelSpotify?IQid=GMSun As featured on 'Ladies & Gentlemen: The Best of George Michael.
- He’s a big football fan and is the President of the Watford Football Club.
- He received the Grammy Legend Award in 2001.
- “Sad Songs (Say So Much)”
- He had Axl Rose induct him into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Axl Rose Inducts Elton John into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1994 Visit us! http://rockhall.com/ Subscribe to RockHall : http://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=rockhall Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/rockandrollhalloffame Twitter: http://twitter.com/rock_hall Google +: http://plus.google.com/u/0/115412030406922618012 Check out all the inductees: http://rockhall.com/inductees/ Upcoming events: http://rockhall.com/events/
- In 1979, he was the first popular Western singer to perform in the USSR.
- He holds the record for biggest selling single of all time with “Candle In The Wind 1997.”
- You could technically call him “Dr. Sir Elton John” after he received an honorary doctorate from the Royal Academy of Music in 2002.
- He also received the prestigious Kennedy Center Honor in 2004.
- “Bennie and the Jets”
- While he was born Reginald Kenneth Dwight, he legally changed his name to Elton John in 1972. His new middle name? Hercules!
- “Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters"
- He performed in Central Park dressed like Donald Duck.
Live in New York at Central Park September 13, 1980
- He just needs an Emmy award to win the EGOT!
- “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road”
- Hell…simply the cover of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.
- “Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word”
- He lent his classics to the animated film “Gnomeo & Juliet.”
- “I Don’t Wanna Go on with You Like That”
- He’s part of the handful of performers who performed at Live Aid and Live 8.
- “Candle in the Wind” (Both tributes to Marilyn Monroe and Diana, Princess of Wales.)
- This performance at the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert.
Queen + Adam Lambert North American Summer Tour 2017. Tour dates and tickets @ https://queenofficial.lnk.to/live-2017 Subscribe to the Official Queen Channel Here http://bit.ly/Subscribe2Queen Queen, Elton John and Axl Rose perform 'Bohemian Rhapsody' live. Taken from 'The Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert'.
- He’s been on The Simpsons.
10x14 "Me Acompaña Cupido" Para más Momentos Simpsons visiten nuestra página en Facebook "Momentos de Los Simpsons" https://www.facebook.com/TheSimpsonsMoments?ref=hl
- Finally, because he’s still standing. (Yeah, yeah, yeah.)
Erica Banas is a rock/classic rock reporter. The first man she ever loved was Jack Daniel. (True story.)